THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, September 2, 2010

CRM

In case any wary soul did not already know, I received my mission call. I have been called to serve in the California Roseville Mission! My first thoughts upon reading this was, "Where the heck is Rosevillle?" Merely seconds after this, an incredible power overcame me. My teary eyes ran free as I continued to read this special letter written to a fictitious person (Fictitious person meaning it was addressed to 'Elder Daniel John Merkley' yet I had not received the Melchezadec Priesthood. This would happen two days later.) The remainder of the letter reads as follows:

You have been recommended as one worthy to represent the Lord as a minister of the restored gospel. You will be an official representative of the Church. As such, you will be expected to maintain the the highest standards of conduct and appearance by keeping the commandments, living mission rules, and following the counsel of your mission president. As you devote your time and attention to serving the Lord, leaving behind all other personal affairs, the Lord will bless you with increased knowledge and testimony of the Restoration and of the truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Your purpose will be to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring the the end. As you serve with all your heart, might, and strength, the Lord will lead you to those who are prepared to be baptized.

The Lord will reward you for the goodness of your life. Greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await you as you humbly and prayerfully serve the Lord in this labor of love among His children. We place in you our confidence and pray that the Lord will help you become an effective missionary.

Sincerely,
Thomas S. Monson
President


Wow... I mean WOW!!! I couldn't even read it. Seriously, my eyes were so blurry and my voice was so shaky that stumbled through it the whole way. Most young men when they receive their calls, they take a moment to offer a prayer or do something to ask God if this is really where he wants them to serve. I didn't do this. I had already received my witness during conference. Elder Rasband of the Quorum of the Seventy spoke about his experience with mission calls. I urge you to reread this or read it for the first time. When I listened to him speak last April, I swelled up with emotions as I realized that God prepared this talk for me. I knew that this was all the assurance and witness I needed. I received testimony of my calling before I had been called. Actually, I was called long before my mortal life. Why should I question that?

http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-1207-18,00.html

I'm so excited to serve!! It is going to be so difficult. Seriously, my eyes have been opened just the past couple of weeks about how hard it really is. I've imagined myself as a missionary and some of the trials and temptations I will have to endure. I'm not ready. I'm seriously am not. Nothing can prepare you for the audacity of serving as a full-time missionary. But, I know that with faith, Christ can help me accomplish anything. Two of my top three all time scriptures are found in St. John. The first is chapter 14 vs. 27. The second is chapter 16 vs. 33. A dear friend reminded me of something I once told her. "Don't tell God how big your storms are, rather tell your storms how big your God is." I have the strength of Deity not only at my side, but in my blood. I have had so many wonderful examples who have gone before me. I will be joining my closest friends who are currently serving. Their names are Elder Manning, Elder Moyer, and Elder Merkley. I know it's weird. Their parents thought it would be funny if they gave them all the same first name. And more importantly, I'll be joining my brothers. Stephen, my oldest brother, served in the mission right next door to mine. In fact, on the map given me in my missionary packet, three of the areas my brother served in were on my map. I guarantee that I will see someone that my brother saw while on his mission. And I will be joining my other brother Jacob. He is currently serving in the Tallahassee Florida Mission. I won't see him for more than 20 months. And even crazier, Jacob and Stephen missed each other by three weeks. In fact, they were both in the Salt Lake airport only 1 day apart. So all three of us won't be together for 70 months. But... It's still worth it. I cannot wait to serve. That's literally what I'll be doing. It's not my two years. Check this out. For tithing, God asks 1/10 of all we earn. As a missionary, typically, you turn 20 right in the middle of your two year mission. 1/10? Crazy. Actually, It's not. God has a plan and this is my part of that plan. To bring to pass the Immortality and Eternal Life of man. I'm helping with that last part because this is My work I have been called to. And it will be My joy and glory to bring this to pass.


2 comments:

Kristina Wilson said...

awww yay!! :) This is so happy! I'm so excited for you Daniel! You are going to be one amazing missionary!

Miya said...

Ah Daniel! I am so excited for you! You will be a great missionary, and I am so happy for those people who have been searching for the light and truth you will bring into their lives! I love them so much and I dont even know them, but you will, and I hope to someday meet them in a more perfect place :)